Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Lessons from a Toastmaster

At Toast masters this morning I played the role of Toastmaster ( basically the MC of the meeting).  I've done this role a number of time, and one thing that I noticed is that the nerves have really calmed down.  The first two or three times that I did it, I was literally shaking.  I stuttered and stammered.  I felt incompetent.

One of the things I love about being a member of a local TM club is the relationships that I've gained.  The beautiful thing is that each of us is there for very similar reason and  each of us feels incompetent  in the beginning.  As we fulfill the roles, complete our speech assignments and practice good grammar, we become better and more confident, not only in a public speaking situation, but also in every day life.  

The lesson that I learned today is the more you do something, no matter how challenging at first, the easier it becomes.  I'm a sales person.  Sometimes I have to make cold calls.  This is the reason most people are terrified of sales.  When I've allowed time to pass between cold calling sessions, the old fears are there to greet me.  But, when I make it a part of my routine and make the calls on a regular basis, it is as natural a process as can be.  The more I do it, the more the nervousness and fears diminish, until one day, I'll look back and ask myself, " what was I so afraid of?"

So, I ask you.  What are you so afraid of?  

You can beat that fear a little at a time.  You just need to look it in the eye,  set a plan, and begin to bite off a little chunk each day.  If you need help, I challenge you to join Toastmasters.  It's not just about public speaking, it's about confidence building.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you're thinking.