Tuesday, April 3, 2012

2 Emotions...

Did you know that you can't hold 2 emotions at the same time. You can't be thankful and angry at the same time. When you are upset about something, when someone does something to inconvenience you. Even something small, like being cut off in traffic can be enough to push some people's buttons. If you will just stop and think of a few things that you are thankful for.. It will not only take your mind off the negative situation at hand, it will literally elevate ,your mood. But what's really cool, is that thankfulness breeds thankfulness. The more you express your thankfullness the more thankful you become. Next time someone is rude to you, think something like this... "That guy was kind of a jerk, but I'm so thankful that I have plenty of time to get to work. In fact I'm thankful that I have a reliable vehicle to get to work in, as a matter of fact I'm thankful that I have a job, a healthy body, mind etc." If you practice this you will find it gets easier and easier to find things to be thankful for. You will also notice that your little annoyances and inconveniences are really no problem at all. In fact, you might not even notice them any more. It's amazing how quickly a negative situation can be defused with a smile and thank you. When you thank someone several things happen. 1. The person you thank feels appreciated. 2. You get a feeling of satisfaction. 3. You are opening a door for more good things to happen. I was having a not-so-great dining experience in a local restaurant recently. The waitress was rushed and flustered. What started out to be a bad experience was quickly turned around, when my dining partner took the situation in hand. The next time the waitress came by our table he said, "I've noticed that you are working very hard to take care of all these people tonight. I just wanted to say thanks for your hard work and for taking good care of us. We really appreciate it." needless to say, our service was excellent for the rest our meal. Practice thankfulness. You'll be glad you did. Expect great things, and decide to have a great day. Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you're thinking.