Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Switch board nightmare

I was visiting with my mom last night. And we were talking about some funny things that happened to us. She told how she used to be a waitress in her younger years and she could never keep the tables straight, or people's food straight. But because she was young and cute they let her get by with it. 

My experience was when I worked a temporary job at a company called Pro Clean.  They had hired me to work for a couple of months in their warehouse. I loved working there and made friends with most everyone quickly. The office staff really liked me too, and when they needed an extra body in the office to fill in, they would often call me in to help with odd jobs. 

One day, I was called in at the last minute and thrown onto the switchboard to answer the phones.  I didn't think anything of it.  I thought "no problem, I've talked on the phone all my life, how hard can it be?". Well, there was no time for anyone to train me.  It was only a 6 line system. ( really!  How hard can six lines be?). PLENTY HARD!  

When the phones started ringing, 3 and 4 lines at a time, I couldn't remember from one call to the next who I put on hold on what line!  I kept putting people to the warehouse who needed to talk to customer service, I put salesmen into the maintainance department.  I left people on hold for 10 minutes straight.  I had nightmares about it for months afterward! 

But, the worse thing that happened was, the next day the President came in and "thanked" me for leaving him on hold for fifteen minutes before transferrin g him to the wrong department.  I was mortified!  But I guess I was lucky, because they liked me and I didn't get fired.  But they never asked me to man the phones again.  

Those daunting experience may not be funny at the time, but it sure is fun to look back and laugh. I'm going to do my best not to take life so seriously, and to remember and write out the funny moments of my life.   I hope you will too.  And, they are much more fun shared with someone else!

Have a blessed day.  


1 comment:

  1. Oops. I was messing around with my pictures and somehow inserted picture of my gorgeous grandson. I couldn't figure out how to remove it. It doesn't really go with the content. But it is cute.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you're thinking.