Wednesday, September 4, 2013

OMG I'm obsessed!

With Twitter?!!!


Recently I have found myself staying up late tweeting, reading tweets, following, and my favorite part; being followed. I wake up early in the morning and first thing I do is check my phone to see how many new followers I have. What am I a narcissist?

I have never been a big social network person. Yes I've done the obligatory Facebook, LinkedIn, etc., in order to stay in in touch with family, friends and business associates. But I've never been real faithful at posting or even checking my accounts... Until I discovered Twitter.

Originally I thought I would Get a twitter account in order to market my blog. And it has helped bring traffic to the site. But as I have continued to use it and grow my following, I have found a whole new world out there. I have begun to converse with people all around the world.  People I would never have met, or probably even thought about before Twitter. For example. I met an artist in France who is from the UK and has a beautiful website where she sells her artwork and blogs about her life on her farm in France. After conversing with her a few times, I got a tweet from somebody else in that same area. The person left me a comment about my blog saying he was going to send his wife to the site. A few days later, He said "you and my wife have already met.". His wife was the artist. Her Name is Sarah Cunnington And her website is www.artbysarahcunnington.com


Another friend I met is from Bogata Columbia. After she had followed me, I tweeted back to her thanking her for the follow. When I saw that most of her tweets were in Spanish, I tweeted back that I was learning Spanish, and knew very little. She responded that she would love to help me learn.  She is a beautiful young woman with a true heart for God. And we have become wonderful friends.
Yes, Twitter does feed my ego. But I know it also feeds my love of people and my need to make friends. I also know that I have to be careful. I have to be aware of how much time that I spend there. I have to ask myself is it really productive? Or am I just wasting time.

During a breakfast meeting with a friend and mentor yesterday morning, I was describing to her my new fascination with Twitter. In the same conversation I also complained about some of the issues that I was facing in my business. And one of them was lack of organization.  Of course, you have to know that her response was that I was wasting too much time on Twitter and other social networking. She gave me some pointers about rewarding myself for spending the right amount of time on appropriate areas of my business. She suggested that I reward myself with social networking, Especially Twitter. She thought it would be a good idea to save Twitter for the very end of the day and only allow myself to tweet if I had completed the tasks that I had set for myself that day. In other words, punish myself for not completing my tasks by disallowing myself to use Twitter or other social media.

This is a challenge. It is 6 o'clock on Wednesday morning, I've been up for an hour. I read one devotional, checked Twitter, and have spent the rest of my time writing this blog about Twitter! Aaahhhggg!!!!  Am I a lost cause?!!!



4 comments:

  1. Okay. I turned in 3 new accounts. I guess I can twitter now. Woot woot.
    DB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessings Debbie ... I don't Twitter or do Facebook (so I guess I'm a bit out dated) but as you found out I do "blog" (4) ... I can definitely tell your a people person! Hope you enjoy your Twitter tweets and time! (lol) yet your blog is delightful! I landed on this one and bookmarked it to come back to so I could give you a link to a place to learn Spanish free online http://www.studyspanish.com/ (though I'm sure there are many) and your new Colombian friend will be a great asset. Enjoy learning!

    It's great to locate a SRT sister's blog and Blog Lovin' sent me a notice that you were at mine but I thought I only had my Missions blog and Prayer blog linked over there, yet you landed at the right one. On my Missions blog last year (2012) at the top it says 31 days or something but I did 31 days of Christian music with some Spanish lessons that you might enjoy as well
    http://monday4missions.blogspot.mx/p/31-days-of.html
    And I share links to this Study Spanish often in case these links don't work.

    Have a blessed weekend! Woot toot! (is this a tweet?)
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a PEOPLE person! (just a correction for the above) and another confirmation of how your quote unquote "obsession" with social media exemplifies this part of you a bit more or truly just allows you to be "you" via another means! But I know what you mean when you say "obsession" cuz it's like it takes over and becomes so real!

      With all that said... I just came here to add my personal thanks for your encouragement over at SRT today (and perhaps other times too! but today seemed to strike me - though brief, I guess I needed to hear that someone reads what I write and gets me). Being very sociable (more in my earlier life than now), I somehow register those little thumbs up (likes) with someone read this and it clicked with them. When there's only me or mine that just goes up sometimes after I write my comment(can't figure that all out yet) I easily get sidetracked with discouragement, thinking the worse often. So really thanks for the encouragement, Deb Bates!!!

      Blessings,
      Peggy

      Delete
  3. Thank you Peggy. Your kind words are an inspiration. I will check out the links you suggested, and continue to check back to your blog. Have a blessed Sunday my new friend.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you're thinking.