Tuesday, August 20, 2013

No plates on the treadmill

You know when someone asks you, "How are you doing?'  What do you normally say?  "fine"?.

 Well, twice today I've heard myself say "I feel like I'm spinning my wheels."   I had to stop and think about that.  Why did I answer that way?  What did I mean by that?

 Do I feel like the mouse on the wheel that has the wheel spinning so fast that he cant jump off and he cant slow it down.  He keeps running until he actually runs himself to death..  Is that what I meant?

 Or is it more like the clown who spins plates?  He spins them on his fingers, on his toes, on his elbow, knees and nose. Finally he gets so many plates spinning that he cant keep them all going and eventually he starts to loose some of them?  Crash!! the first one hits the ground with a loud bang, but the clown quickly recovers and has a replacement spinning in no time.  Unfortunately it doesn't last The slightest twitch and he drops the one off his nose, then the one on his toes, until he eventually finds himself in a heap of rubble.

I can say that both scenario match my feelings  this past couple of weeks.  In the first scenario, I find myself chasing lead after lead and getting no where. (I'm referring to work), frustrating but mostly out of my hands.

 I also find myself unable to focus on one spinning plate, because I've allowed myself to spin too many plates.  When this happens I don't give good quality work to any of my commitments, because I don't have the time to devote to each one.  And my focus is divided.

As a business person, who is involved in the community, Toastmasters club, church, several networking groups, trying to fit in exercise, friends and family:,  I know that I have a lot of plates in the air.  And I've even tried spinning some while running on the treadmill.  (not a good idea).  I don't believe that this is Gods best for my life, my family and my time with Him.   So what is the solution?  What does the word say about it?  Am I adding  life to my years? Am I adding years to my life? or is it the other way around?

Lets look at some scriptures.
Job 30:27:  My inward parts are in turmoil and never still: days of affliction come to meet me. (I know my problems are nothing in comparison to Jobs, but I can relate to this sentiment)

....but, God wants, ordains and offers us peace.
1 Corinthians 14:33, God is not a God of confusion but of peace...
John 16:33: " I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace.  In the world you will have tribulation.  But take heart; I have overcome the world."
...so don't worry, instead ask God for help.  And He will give you peace.
Philippians 4:6&7:  Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
John 14:27:  Peace I leave with you: my peace I give to you.  Not as the world gives do I give to you.  Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.

There are many, many more scriptures in the Bible that tell us to stop stressing, worrying, laboring and give our burdens to Christ.  His word says He wants us to trust in him, cease striving or let go, relax..   (Psalms 46:10)

AND No Guilt!!! Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

You can set down a few plates if you want to.  Not Me!!!   I'm going to chuck them, Frisbee style clear into the next decade if that is what it takes.   IF you are anything like me, you'll  probably pick up a few more along the way and try to spin them while surfing or something.

God Bless.  Have a great day.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you're thinking.